At FIT, we recognize that helping an individual or family maintain housing stability often takes more than simply providing a home. The supportive services we provide focus on the strengths of each and every participant and their family while providing vital opportunities to build the skills necessary for self-sufficiency and stability.
Life skills are crucial tools that enable participants to achieve personal growth, learn positive behaviors, and gain independence. By developing these skills as part of a larger goal of self-awareness and understanding, individuals are able break the cycle of homelessness.
To facilitate the development of life skills, participants are offered programming in the following areas:
- Intensive therapeutic case management to increase skills and confidence in areas of: budgeting, health and wellness, mental health, employment, educational goals, and financial stability.
- Individual and group therapy opportunities for crisis support, stress management, coping skills, and self-awareness skills to enhance individual growth and achievement. Specialized topics include: parents in recovery, expressive arts, mindfulness, and relapse prevention.
- Workshops and social opportunities to improve skills in areas such as:
- Substance abuse recovery
- Relationship building
- Health and wellness
- Family programming to provide opportunities for positive interactions and enhanced connections within extended families as well as with friends, neighbors, and the community at large.
- Health services provided to individuals and families through the Health Care for the Homeless (HCH) Manchester – Mobile Community Health Team clinic (provided at the Families in Transition – New Horizons Market Street location).
- A 24-hour crisis hotline, available to all FIT participants.
If you are homeless and in need of emergency shelter or housing, contact the Manchester Homeless Assistance Line at 1-877-606-5173.
If you already have an appointment scheduled with the Intake Coordinator at Families in Transition – New Horizons, make sure that you have proper documentation (see required paperwork here) and contact the Intake Coordinator at [email protected] or 603-641-9441 ext. 257 with further questions.