Volunteer at our Family Place Resource Center and Shelter
The Family Place Resource Center and Shelter opened in January 2016. The building houses 11 families on an emergency basis. At the Family Place Resource Center and Shelter, we have many community partners such as New Horizons, Catholic Medical Center, Southern New Hampshire Services , and Goodwill, that we have teamed up with to help with combating homelessness in Manchester.
Volunteer Positions: Welcome Ambassador ~ Kitchen Assistant
As a Welcome Ambassador, you will play a key role in helping homeless and at risk individuals and families in our community access the resources and services they need to regain their independence. You will be the first point of contact for clients, service providers, donors, and other volunteers entering the facility, helping to direct people to the appropriate resources.
- Welcome and direct visitors, clients, and donors to appropriate services
- Assist our key partners in program set up (workshops, food prep, health clinic, etc)
- Help complete administrative work (filing, mailings, data entry, etc.)
Shifts are Monday –Friday:
8:00am-10:00am, 10:00am-1:00pm, 1:00pm-5:00pm
As a Kitchen Assistant, you will play a key role in helping to provide homeless and at risk individuals and families living in our shelter with fresh, healthy, and warm meals. Opportunities to assist New Horizons Chefs in food preparation, serving, set up, and clean up are available daily.
- Assist kitchen staff in food preparation for daily meals
- Keep food stocked at meal times (breakfast is buffet style and lunch is a bagged, to go)
- Help serve family-style dinners to families
Shifts are Monday – Friday: 5:00pm – 7:00pm
Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am – 12:00pm (brunch), and 4:00pm – 6:00pm (dinner)
At FIT, we want to ensure the best possible volunteer program. Because of the work we do and the population with which we work, we require that specific criteria be met by our volunteers. Please review these criteria carefully and note whether you meet each requirement before completing the application process. If you do not meet our requirements, we’ll be happy to refer you to a more appropriate volunteer placement.
Criminal Background Criteria
In order to be considered for a volunteer placement at FIT, you must have:
- No record of assault, violent criminal offenses and/or weapons charges
- No record of illegal drug charges of any type in the past 10 years
- No record of sexual related charges of any type
- No record of theft or robbery charges
- No record of forgery or identity theft
- No record of criminal trespassing
All volunteers over the age of 18 must submit to a criminal background check.
Court Ordered Community Service
Applicants seeking to earn community service hours through the court system must provide Families in Transition either a court docket containing the charge for which they have been mandated to perform community service hours, or an official letter from their lawyer containing the details of their charge, written on the firm’s letterhead. This document must be submitted along with the rest of the application materials. If the related charge is included on the list above, the applicant will not be eligible for community service with Families in Transition.