Volunteer at our Family Place Resource Center and Shelter
The Family Place Resource Center and Shelter opened in January 2016. The building houses 11 families on an emergency basis. At the Family Place Resource Center and Shelter, we have many community partners such as New Horizons, Catholic Medical Center, Southern New Hampshire Services , and Goodwill, that we have teamed up with to help with combating homelessness in Manchester.
Volunteer Positions: Welcome Ambassador ~ Kitchen Assistant
As a Welcome Ambassador, you will play a key role in helping homeless and at risk individuals and families in our community access the resources and services they need to regain their independence. You will be the first point of contact for clients, service providers, donors, and other volunteers entering the facility, helping to direct people to the appropriate resources.
- Welcome and direct visitors, clients, and donors to appropriate services
- Assist our key partners in program set up (workshops, food prep, health clinic, etc)
- Help complete administrative work (filing, mailings, data entry, etc.)
Shifts are Monday –Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
As a Kitchen Assistant, you will play a key role in helping to provide homeless and at risk individuals and families living in our shelter with fresh, healthy, and warm meals. Opportunities to assist New Horizons Chefs in food preparation, serving, set up, and clean up are available daily.
- Assist kitchen staff in food preparation for to-go meals and snacks
- Keep food stocked (breakfast is buffet style and lunch is a bagged, to go) and kitchen clean
- Help serve family-style dinners to families
Dinner shifts are Monday – Friday: 5:00pm – 7:00pm
Saturday and Sunday: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
At FIT, we want to ensure the best possible volunteer program. Because of the work we do and the population with which we work, we require that specific criteria be met by our volunteers. Please review these criteria carefully and note whether you meet each requirement before completing the application process. If you do not meet our requirements, we’ll be happy to refer you to a more appropriate volunteer placement.
All volunteers working directly with children over the age of 18 must submit to a criminal background check.
Criminal Background Criteria
In order to be considered for a volunteer placement at FIT, you must have:
- No record of assault, violent criminal offenses and/or weapons charges
- No record of illegal drug charges of any type in the past 10 years
- No record of sexual related charges of any type
- No record of theft or robbery charges
- No record of forgery or identity theft
- No record of criminal trespassing