Hire a VISTA
A good cause. A great business opportunity.
Who hires VISTAs?
Organizations that hire VISTAs are called “host sites.” Host sites are nonprofits or government agencies that provide critical services, training, and empowerment programs aimed at enabling local residents to break the cycle of poverty.
As a host site, you’ll benefit from receiving the support of a full-time staff member without the high cost of salary and benefits. Host sites who have hosted VISTAs in the Manchester area include nonprofits such as Families in Transition (Manchester), Arts in Reach (Portsmouth), Nashua Boys & Girls Club (Nashua), and CASA (Manchester). Government agencies include the City of Manchester’s Office of Youth Services and the Keene Public Library.
Who can become a site sponsor?
Thinking about sponsoring a VISTA? Your organization must be a:
- Public, private, or faith-based nonprofit; or a
- Local, state, or federal agency
To host a VISTA, your organization must be able to provide:
- Approximately $5,000 toward VISTA salary and benefits;
- Office space, a desk, a computer and phone for each VISTA;
- A full-time staff supervisor who supports the VISTA by providing guidance, oversight, and attending VISTA supervisor meetings; and
- The administrative support and supplies a VISTA will need to complete the goals and objectives of the project.
Your project must have clearly defined objectives and goals directed toward alleviating poverty and serving low-income communities.
Is VISTA right for your organization? For more information, visit: americorps.gov.
If you are interested in hosting a VISTA in New Hampshire, please contact the Families in Transition VISTA Program Coordinator: via e-mail at FITVISTA@fitnh.org or by phone at (603) 641-1143 x 357. For more information download our “Be a Host Site” brochure.
For more information on the AmeriCorps*VISTA program and to learn more about sponsoring a VISTA at your organization, visit americorps.gov and click on “For Organizations”.